Greensboro was incorporated 1911. In 1895, J.W. Green bought 160 acres near his birthplace in the Alamo community of Gadsden County. He moved into the place and soon secured a post office called Green's. When the Apalachicola Northern Railway was built in 1907, a depot was located on the Green farm, which was platted as a town and named in honor of Green. The town was officially incorporated in 1909. Dr. O.W. Gardner was the first Mayor of Greensboro, and he took office in 1907, and served until 1950. In 1951, Murray Spooner was elected Mayor, and he was followed by Earl Willis, and then by Buddy Pitts, who served until he passed away in 2016. JB Toole is the current Mayor of Greensboro.
By 1927, the town had a bank, 8 general stores, an excellent high school, a hotel and a Baptist and Methodist Church. Greensboro produced beef, hogs, turpentine, resin and syrup. It also had a grist mill and a peanut thresher. For communication the town had daily mail, telephone and telegraph.
Shepard's Mill was built in 1875 along side Highway 12 and Telogia Creek from which it drew its power. The old mill was built according to a plan that allowed it to draw maximum power from a limited fall of water. The water flows from the millpond down a short drop beneath the mill itself and then on into Telogia Creek. The chute created just enough power to turn the wheel of the mill and drive the grindstones.
Mills of this type were quite common in Florida, where the natural terrain made them more efficient. Florida's streams generally flowed with less force than millstreams in other parts of the South, so the design worked well at locations like Telogia Creek.
The mill is not open to the public, but can easily be seen from Highway 12. Its large mill pond is just across the road.
The historic Apalachicola Northern Railroad (ANRR) depot in Greensboro was built in 1907 and is the only remaining depot on the line which runs from River Junction in Gadsden County to Port St. Joe in Gulf County, Florida. About 40 years ago, the depot was moved from its original location between the main line and the side track to a nearby lot. It was then remodeled by Nelson Clark and used as his barber shop, grocery store as well as a thrift shop operated by area United Methodist churches. As Progress Energy Corporation began expanding network electrical lines through Northwest Florida, it became evident that the old depot was directly in its path and the demolition of the depot building was planned. The ANRR had been significant to the growth throughout this area, and West Gadsden Historical Society (WGHS) realized what a tremendous historic loss the demolition of this landmark would be to the town, county and the entire region.
With destruction looming, WGHS acted quickly, contacting Progress Energy, telling them of our strong desire to save the old depot building from destruction, preserve it, and establish it as a railroad museum. In turn, Progress Energy generously donated the building to WGHS and provided funding to relocate the historic depot to a parcel of land adjacent to the railroad that had been graciously donated by the St. Joe Land Company. After many hours of planning, design, permitting delays and sweat to ready the depot for relocation, the Greensboro Depot was moved on September 7, 2007. We were fortunate then to receive grant funding through the U. S. Department of Transportation with which the historic depot was restored and an adjoining classroom building constructed. Gadsden County graciously volunteered to administer the grant and further facilitated bidding and construction inspection of the depot’s renovation.
The Greensboro Depot Railroad Museum now proudly stands again in the center of Greensboro at the corner of Selman Street and Duffle Avenue. Community support and admiration of the restored structure signifies its importance to the re-growth of the area. The depot now serves as a museum that houses not only items pertaining to the Apalachicola Northern Railroad, but many different railroads’ memorabilia.
Additionally, the depot complex houses the Patricia Fletcher Vice Meeting Facility that is available for public use. The meeting facility offers a large training/reception room and a small wet bar area. It is a wonderful facility to use for board meetings, parties or small receptions.